Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Evening of Extravaganza!

The celebration of love
This was the day: the celebration of my first born's twentieth birthday. I had had the pleasure of being a mother to him, for exactly twenty years. It was a celebration for both of us and indeed the both of us did accomplish quite the achievement, twenty years ago!


The "second born" was thrilled, staying at a hotel!


While the "third born" was not...


When it's a sunny Saturday morning and you're staying at a hotel: dance ballet in the lobby!



The Boy also noticed the blue sky behind the glass ceiling.




It was like everybody was infected with the happiness virus that I and Alexander suffered from: we who had the special celebration. Hubs was in a splendid cheerful mood and Johannes was going "hay wire", climbing, running, hiding and joking non stop.



Marcus gave up on trying to capture me with Johannes, so I gave it my best shot. No point whatsoever...!



The happiness virus demanded that we take a stroll in the city, before going to pick Alexander up for one of his b-day presents: IKEA shopping. 
So, we went downtown, all the 60 steps from our hotel. Johannes was to buy a movie, I bought a pair of spring shoes (can't always vander around in Converse) and hubby got a haircut at his old hairdresser's, 'cuz when it's time to celebrate you might aswell do it in style! 
It was all laughs and I can't remember feeling much happier than I did. Almost. I was even happier later that evening.


For sure, noone needed telling me to Carpe Diem. But it's a good thing it's out there, as a reminder!


There were sunny skies, I had been jogging with The Dog earlier and now I walked with husband and son, only waiting for loads of fun things to start happening. Life sure is unbeatable. 


Our old hometown showed itself from a nice angle, this day.


Fulfilling dreams
Being a mother of two sons is fulfilling a dream, for me. I love being the mother of boys since it's challenging aswell as very exciting and explorative. We're different in many ways and we learn a whole lot from each other. I see how my sons resemble each other, while at the same time they resemble me, as a child and as youth.


IKEA is a dream of a different sort! Alexander had been wishing, for quite some years, to go there with me and buy stuff he needs. Now that he has his own apartment the wish was even stronger. Finally we got around to it and gave it as a gift for his birthday: shopping spree!
Fulfilling a dream.
We started with coffee and cake however and got to sit together, all of us, and catch up. Wonderful time - to think that such great things can happen at an IKEA store!




(did I ever mention that I love that son of mine? that I'm proud?) ;-)


It's best to try for some attention...





We found loads of good stuff, so now that room will have new "art" (NY-photo), new curtains, new bed, new sheets, new bedside tables, pillows, covers and lamps!!


What a happy day it is: 20 years!!!!!!! 
20 years of love.


You mothers out there will know what it is I feel here: pride.



Even happier
As I stated earlier: "almost". The day continued and we hurried to the hotel to change and then walk to the restaurant. My boys looked at the view, while waiting. I took opportunities to marvel. To be present. Which is what life is all about.



My mother and my husband enjoying good food aswell as good company. It sure was some night!


The Boy was good about things this evening, knowing it was his brother's day. He didn't whine at all and watched a movie when things got too boring... Those little ones, how amazing they are being able to be good sports and understanding things one never would think.

Below I'll let the pictures tell the story of just how wonderful and magical it all was, to me. I don't want to spoil it with words that aren't grand enough or don't do it justice:








I will say this: looking at my 20 year old son, I see that he looks very happy. That makes me very happy.
I also see that my father looks happy, I guess our happiness makes him happy?! So, maybe it's the same phenomenon with happiness as love: we give it, share it, it comes back and enhances?


My brother looks fine in his brand new glasses!

Laughter
The evening of the Big Birthday consisted not only of love, good food and happiness, it also hosted laughter. I laughed so hard that tears were running and make-up left! We talked of old times, we remembered old times and to some old stories were new stories so the laughter, for them, was of surprise aswell as of fun.
I remember thinking that it was magical (sorry to be repeating but I can't find a word that's better suited) that we were all laughing and having such a good time. Noone was ill, noone had a heahache or anything else that could have gone wrong. The stories were so good that they in themselves become stories for the future: "remember when...?". It was an evening like that, an evening to remember and talk about.
And that's what I wanted for my son Alexander.
Alexander The Great, my hero.


After dinner and drinks, around 11 PM Alexander went on to go dancing with friends. Hubs, I and Johannes went back to the hotel. We had some wine and Johannes had a movie, fighting sleep until the bitter end.

I went to sleep feeling thankful and very complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment